Apr 15, 2011

Chick Day Playgroup

My kids just love chicks! My 2 year old doesn't say too much, but she says "chick" and "peep" if that is any indication. So, it was about time that we did something for playgroup to spread the love!We started things off with the "Chicken Dance." It was a great version of the song and the kids loved it! Heck, I loved it, too! It was "Hear Me Sing, Watch Me Dance" performed by Mar.The song and dance got everyones attention, so while they were listening we quickly herded them over the the table to do the craft for the day. Pom-pom chicks in a paper bag nest! All you do is scrunch the sides of the paper bag down, glue some twigs on it, and then glue the chicks inside. The chicks are as easy to make as they look. A triangle of orange felt and two googly eyes on a 2" pom-pom.Then, while the glue dried, we read a couple of our favorite chick stories and sang some songs. The two songs that I found were: Five and five eggs (Hold up hands)That makes ten Sitting on top is mother hen (Fold one hand over the other) Crackle crackle crackle (Clap hands three times) What do I see (Fingers around eyes) Ten fluffy chickens (Hold up ten fingers) As yellow as can be! Said the first little chick with a wiggly little squirm, "I wish I could find A fat little worm." Said the second little chick, with an odd little shrug, "I wish I could find A fat little bug." Said the third little chick, With a sharp little squeal, "I wish I could find Some nice corn meal." Said the fourth little chick with a sigh of grief, "I wish I could find A little green leaf." Said the fifth little chick, With a faint little moan, "I wish I could find A wee gravel stone." "See here,” said mother hen, In a little garden patch, "If you want any breakfast, Just come here and scratch!" After that, we moved back over to the table to help our chicks scratch for their food! I made cupcakes with chocolate icing and green coconut for our grass.Then, the kids put sprinkles on their cupcakes and helped their chicks scratch for food in the grass! We ended things with a coloring page of a chick hatching out of an egg. All in all, a good day!

2 comments:

Linz said...

Cute!!! How often do you do playgroup?

Pippity Pop said...

We have playgroup once a week but I'm not always in charge of the activity. I'm probably only doing 1 or 2 playgroups a month. I wish I had time to do them all!