Jul 7, 2010

Space Camp Playgroup

I think I may have mentioned my son's interest/obsession with space, so I planned a whole playgroup based on space. It was so much fun and the kids loved it!I made these NASA "badges" for all of the little astronauts to wear.

The first activity we did was How Do Rockets Fly? Unfortunately, I didn't get any pictures of the actual demonstration, but it was so awesome! All of the kids freaked out, I really want to do this one again!Next, we played Musical Planets. I've done this one before at a birthday party and it's always a lot of fun. I have a CD that plays songs that talks about the sun, the moon, and each of the planets. When I stop the music, I ask one of the kids to identify which planet they're standing on. Then, using one of our many space books, I show an actual picture of the planet and tell the kids several interesting facts about each planet. The game ends once we make it through the whole solar system!After that we played Pin The Astronaut on the Moon. We have a young group of kids in our playgroup, so I made this game pretty simple. I drew an outline for each of the pieces that I had and then, taking turns, the kids had to find where each item was supposed to go. We ended up having a few more children than I thought we would so I didn't have enough pieces, if I did this again I would also have the moon itself be a piece to play with!
Last but not least, a fun song to sing with everyone:
Four Little Astronauts (Hold up fingers as rhyme indicates.)
Four little astronauts winking at me,
One blasts off, now there are three.
Three little astronauts with nothing to do,
One blasts off, now there are two.
Two little astronauts afraid of the sun,
One blasts off, now there is one.
One little astronaut alone is no fun,
He blasts off, now there are none!

No comments: